Throughout the project, I have learned and picked up new skills from little to no knowledge in relation to both 3D modelling and architectural visualisation. Before I decided to develop a 3D artefact I had been exposed to 3D modelling in the beginning of the academic year as it has shown me a lot of possibilities and that is where my interest begins. For this project, I have learnt from my mistakes as well as equipped with new skills from every stage from modelling to rendering and showcasing the artefact using a fly through approach. For example, in modelling stage, I have made a huge mistake to a point that it may require recreating the entire artefact from the beginning as the model become extremely lagging and unresponsive let along to applying textures and materials.
Fortunately, the issue has resolved after I produced a testing plan to carry out the model in different workstations to see if is either a hardware or software issue. The test has enabled me to discover it was to do with the texture materials I made within the application which requires a large amount of time to render a low poly counts model. This experience has taught me to think outside the box rather than reduce the quality of the model itself. Instead, have a test plan in order to get to the bottom of the problem before taking any actions, this has improved my problem-solving skill. Another area which I have been improved and learnt throughout this project is my technical skills as this project enabled me to use a variety of applications in order to produce a 3D artefact and a fly through video documentary to showcase the artefact’s features and functions.
The modelling stage has enabled me to improve my existing modelling skills from a beginner to an intermediate level. Another area which is also important in the development stage is the texturing development as this depends on how realistic the textures are as it can affect the overall appearance to whether if the model can bring a realistic feel to it. As the model near completion and is in the rendering stage I have encountered another crisis because the model took six days and only rendered six seconds of footage. There must be something wrong with the model setup in terms of lighting, camera setup and project settings, I discovered it is to do with the lighting setup which is why it causes the rendering process too long as it requires the programme to perform a large amount of calculations for each frame. From this mistake, it taught me that always ensure there is a backup version when I can simplify the lighting setup before rendering the model again.
In conclusion at the beginning, of course, I have little to no knowledge in both 3D modelling and architectural visualisation, and through the year I started to know more in 3D modelling has I have created and printed my own custom made an artefact. Also, the module has enabled me to gain knowledge in 3D modelling which has helped for my major study, through the previous module I have gained experience in 3D modelling and understanding how the whole development cycle works. Overall, I would say this is an insight view into architectural visualisation and 3D modelling as well as gained knowledge and experiences in the specialist area of practice.
Word Counts: 568